Today I'm showing some more die cutting techniques as I make a WOW card and a Pop-Up Aperture card. WOW stands for White on White – no other colors! You may be surprised at how elegant this first card can be when you add dimension and texture to this card.
The Pop-Up Aperture, features a technique called Faux Embossing. This is where you take pieces in the same color as your card base and glue them directly to your card base, giving a look similar to embossing – without the stylus or embossing folder.
You will see that for this week’s cards, we don’t use any patterned paper at all! And the only ink we use is for stamping the sentiments on the second card! To see how I made these cards, you can check out my video:
Card #1 - WOW!
White on White (WOW) cards can be so elegant! Try it for weddings, baptisms, sympathy cards, or any other occasion where you want an elegant and unusual card. Use whatever you can find in your stash to add dimension and texture. Here are some ideas: stamping with clear or white heat embossing, die cuts, embossing folders, white embossing paste (with or without sparkle), white lace or ribbon or twine, clear or white bling.
In this case, I used a cutting die that was product of the month a couple of months back. It was called Eyelet Blooms Die. Using my fingernail, I lifted the petals of the flowers - except for rows 2 & 3 where I added my ribbon and sentiment (made using a hybrid embossing folder called Thoughtful Moments - unfortunately no longer available). After adding the die cut piece to the card front, I finished with a few white sequins.
Card #2 - NEARLY WOW POP-UP APERTURE with FAUX EMBOSSING and a POP of COLOR
I made this card using die cuts from three cutting die sets (all discontinued Stampin' Up!) - Delicate Frames dies (for faux embossed frame and flowers on focal), Branching Out dies (for cutting the aperture on the card front and for cutting the center focal & mat), and Mixed Labels dies (for die cutting the sentiment). As you can see in the picture, shaping the flowers makes a big difference! Here's what the card looks like when opened:
The pop up mechanism is made using a piece of cardstock that is 2 1/2" x 4 1/4". Using my Paper Trimmer with this piece in horizontal position, I cut it at 3". I set aside the remaining 1 1/4" piece. Leaving the 3" piece in the same orientation, I scored it at 1", 1 1/2" and 2 1/4" - giving me 4 sections - a 1" section, a 1/2" section, and two 3/4" sections. I folded these as valley folds and creased well.
Then, I added glue to the end sections (the 1" section and a 3/4" section). With the piece folded in half with the 3/4" section on the bottom and the 1" section on the top, I inserted the piece into my card with the ends butting up to the fold and the piece centered in the aperture. Then I carefully folded the card closed and held it until the glue set. Next, I added glue to the 1/2" section that could be seen through the aperture - and glued the 1 1/4" piece I had set aside to this - lining it up carefully along the fold.
After checking to ensure there was no stray glue, I closed the card and added glue to the 1 1/4" piece that I could see through the aperture. I added my matted focal to this, carefully ensuring it was centered in the aperture.
No comments:
Post a Comment